My first - and hopefully last - non-review ~ That Movie Blogger Fella

Sunday, August 16, 2009

My first - and hopefully last - non-review

Talentime
My rating:




I didn't like it.

And that's all I have to say. I'm afraid I can't write my usual review without coming across as disrespectful to allahyarham Yasmin Ahmad, and I'm not about to risk that.

I've been wanting to write something about her, but hadn't thought of anything to say - mainly because, until now, I'd never actually watched any of her films. (And yes, I'm quite embarrassed to admit that.) I had actually been planning to do a retrospective of her work, and frankly, I'd fully expected to write some pretty harsh reviews. I wasn't a fan of all of her TV commercials, for one.

I suppose scuttling my plans is the least of the blows her passing dealt. If I can't pay her the respect she is due, then I shall say nothing at all. And for her vision, her humanity - and yes, her talent, what of it I saw - she is due a great deal.

My apologies to those who've been waiting for my review. Perhaps later - and after I've managed to find all six of her films on DVD - I might still do that retrospective. But now is still a little too soon.

0 comments: